Ana and Mary’s Newsletter – April 8th, 2016
Wisdom is like a baobab tree; no one individual can embrace it. ~African proverb
Did you know that meerkats can close their ears, so dirt won’t get into them when they dig? And that “tembo” means elephant in Swahili? This week students have worked feverishly on their Africa presentations. Students are so excited about all of their learning (and we are enjoying learning alongside them as well!) Many thanks again for all of the parental support.
Next week MONDAY (April 11th) we will spend the day at the zoo! This will be a great opportunity for our students to find out more about the animals they and their group-mates are studying. Please plan to join us! Students will need a sack lunch, water bottle, good walking shoes, sunscreen, a small backpack, and $10. We will leave at 9am and will return to school at 1:30pm.
Done! Our “Suns” valiantly worked through all of their PARCC sessions. Our schedule, however, will continue to be slightly changed – with specials in the afternoon – until all other elementary classes are finished with the testing as well.
If your student is a “Sun” (third grader), please plan to attend the trip meeting Monday, April 11, 5pm in the ELC wing. This is a mandatory meeting.
In collaboration with our students one of our parents created a t-shirt design that honors our study of Wangari Maathai, trees and African animals! These t-shirts will be for sale for $5 each and students will be wearing them for our performance April 28. We will let you know when the t-shirts are ready for sale.
- Monday, April 11 – Trip to the Denver Zoo. 9am – 1:30pm, $10 – Please join us!
- Monday, April 11 – 3rd grade mandatory Trip Night, 5pm
- Wed., April 20 – Early Release 1pm
- Wed., April 20 – school-wide Night of Exhibitions, 5:30 – 8pm
- Thurs., April 28 – Africa Night performance by Mary and Ana’s class, 6pm
- Fri., April 29 – Day of Dialogue and Film Festival
- Fri., May 6 – Field Day
- Fri., May 13 – Hiking Field Trip
- Wed./Thurs. May 18/19 – 3rd grade Overnight Trip
- Tues., May 24 – All School Picnic
- Wed., May 25 – Last day of school, Early Release 1pm
All films are due April 18th. Please fill out a form from the front office and return it to Melody. Send your films on a flash drive or contact Melody for other options.
The Evening Event will be on April 29th. See you all there!
Ana and Mary